The Rossmoor Homeowners Association sponsored a forum on the Los Alamitos Unified School District’s Ballot Measure G – a measure which would raise over $90 million dollars for improvements deemed necessary by the Los Al USD School Board. Local Producer John Underwood was there to record it for the RHA.
The measure kind of skated under the local radar for a few months but recently has been getting a lot of discussion on local online forums like NextDoor — with a lot of incorrect information being tossed about (by both advocates and opponents).
Note: Unfortunately, the Rossmoor Park meeting room is a little dark [exacerbated by the contrast from the bright light of the Powerpoint slide show screen]. As an experiment, we have used our spiffy Premiere Pro software to lighten it yet still keep the details of the Powerpoint display. This involved mattes, and tracking keyframes, and bezier curves and lots of other things you don’t need to know about. But let us know if the “artificial exposure” is better or worse than a dark video (and more importantly, worth the time and effort). In other words, did it make it easier to watch?
As compiled by RHA Board member Art Remnet and NextDoor member Catherine Thorndike, the following seem to be the key issues, highlights questions and answers:
- 1:20 – Dr. Kropp State of the District summary.
- 6:45 – Rossmoor School rankings in county
- 9:50 – Reducing Traffic in Rossmoor
- 11:25 – Inter-District Transfers
- 14:07 – Financial Data
- 16:35 – Facilities
- 19:55 – New building rendering and future plans
- 24:20 – LAHS classrooms
- 30:01 – ADA money explanation for LAHS
- 31:20 – Measure G – what was done before the Bond was put on the ballot
- 41:35 – What is the cap on Measure G Bonds per $100,000 assessed value?
- 45:13 – Can Leisure World vote on Measure G and are they taxed if Measure G Passes?
- 47:57 – Property taxes in general, inter-district, military families, Allen Bill students,
- 50:15 – Requesting money from inter-district families
- 52:25 – Amount of ADA for LAUSD vs. other districts
- 56:35 – Will every classroom at LAHS be modernized & will all portable classrooms be removed?
- 1:07:25 – The District Board Room – what did that cost to renovate?
- 1: 15:24 – Can we get a report card on Measure K bond – what did you do and what did it cost?
- Actual ballot measure language
- Los Al USD Resolution ordering election
- Los Al USD “Fast Facts” Re: Measure G
- Sun article re: Measure G from August
- OC Registrar Letter regarding Leisure World Measure G ballot error
- Senator Moorlach on Orange County school districts’ financial soundness dated 10/2/2018
- School District Public Salary Information (2016) – (approximately 80% of the budget)