In this day of restricted athletic activities, you take your high school sports stories where you find them. Here is an interesting one.
Los Al Girls soccer is ranked third in the United States for supplying Division 1 college Soccer players. Griffin alums currently number 17 players playing at the highest level of the college ranks. The survey was conducted by Top Drawer soccer reporters who obviously had a lot of spare time on their hands.
The only schools supplying more players than Los Al were Shattuck-St. Mary’s School, a private high school in Minnesota, and
The number is the highest for any public high school in the United States. Chino Hills is right behind at 16. Frequent SoCal opponents Mater Dei, Santa Margarita and Cathedral High School (San Diego) all had 14 alums playing Division I soccer. Torry Pines had 11 and Sunset League rival Edison had 10.
The number equals the 17 who were part of the 2004-07 teams. That includes members of the 2004-05 team which won the CIF championship and ended the season ranked No. 1 in the nation. Like that team, there are also another six or seven additional alumni participating in Division II, Division III and NAIA soccer levels.
CURRENT LOS AL ALUMNI PLAYING DIV 1 WOMENS SOCCER
- Nicole Barham – 2019 (Northern Illinois)
- Carly Brown (UC irvine)
- Randi Geffrey – 2016 – (Davidson)
- Leah Kellogg – Kansas State
- Amanda Jones – 2016 (ASU, Long Beach State)
- Depike Kooner – 2019 (UC Riverside)
- Rachel Posner – 2016 (College of Charleston)
- Vanessa Millsaps – 2015 – (Washington)
- Madison Reid – 2019 – (University of San Francisco)
- Ashley Soto – 2016 – (USC)
- Nicole Soto – 2019 – (Arizona State)